We are founded on the belief that health care is a right. For eighteen years, we have been committed to the goal that all people of New Mexico have universal access to health care.
Health Action New Mexico (HANM) was founded in 1995 as a coalition to achieve access to health care and fight Medicaid cuts. HANM incorporated in 2000 as a free-standing nonprofit 501(c) (3) organization. Today, we are the recognized consumer advocacy organization at the forefront of health care reform in New Mexico and the lead agency of a state-wide collaborative, the Health Care for All Campaign, working to achieve equitable, quality and affordable health care for all people living in New Mexico.
Here are some of our accomplishments:
- Secured the Patient Protection Act in New Mexico, establishing consumer insurance protections.
- Worked to create an independent ombudsman office in the state’s Division of Insurance to help consumers with issues regarding their health insurance.
- Worked to create a community foundation with funds from Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The resulting Con Alma Health Foundation currently awards about $1 million annually to community health projects and programs.
- Partnered with other organizations to advance Prescription Access Litigation in 2001 to keep prescription drugs affordable.
- Lead organization in the formation of the Health Care for All Coalition, with 45 member advocacy organizations active in health issues.
- Mobilized consumer input to help preserve Medicaid allocations and strengthen services for the most vulnerable.
- Successfully advocated for a Memorial to establish a New Mexico Legislative Health Care Reform Working Group.