Donate today to support our campaign to protect Medicare, Medicaid, and the Affordable Care Act.
Health Action New Mexico has worked for over twenty years to improve equal access to health care in New Mexico. We have worked tirelessly on the ground and with decision makers to ensure that health reform and new health coverage options are being implemented successfully. During the first three years of enrolling people in Medicaid and new NM state marketplace, our bilingual field team of local organizers has connected over 5,500 previously uninsured families in 11 counties with the highest uninsured rates. Unlike four years ago when NM had the highest rate of uninsured, today more people are covered than ever before.
The recent national election threatens to strip away the progress New Mexico has made on health care. Members of Congress have vowed to repeal health coverage for 22 million people, scrap essential consumer protections (like ending pre-existing conditions and hiking rates on older adults, women, and the medically vulnerable), dismantle Medicaid so that fewer people are covered and states are on the hook for costs, and privatize Medicare for older adults ending the free preventive services and bringing back the donut hole for prescriptions drugs. This would fundamentally alter the commitment our nation has made to help those in need.
We need to hold decision makers accountable if they choose to take action on these extreme ideas. Unless we stand up together at the community-level to oppose these harmful plans and offer a positive vision for our future, many will have worse or no access to health care and other basic rights, especially the most vulnerable among us.
Here is our plan:
1. Mobilize a broad coalition to quickly respond to actions that threaten the rights of New Mexicans, especially on health, social justice, and civil rights issues.
2. Organize events across the state to ensure community input on social justice issues including their right to quality, affordable health care.
3. Stay on top of the latest and most accurate information and analysis about proposed changes and regularly update the public and decision makers.
4. Mobilize statewide canvassing, phone banking, rallying and other forms of civic engagement to educate and activate the public.
5. Continue our work on maximizing enrollment in low income communities throughout the state with our bilingual team of community organizers, lowering prescription drug costs, and expanding access to dental care through the use of dental therapists.
You can make a difference today by making a donation to our organizing efforts. All proceeds will go directly towards our work in the field. This work is often overlooked, but it is one of the few things standing between people and their health care. It means so much to us that you care about this cause as much as we do, and we promise that we will work tirelessly to protect our progress and acheive health care for all.Health Action